Your home’s siding is one of its protective barriers separating the home’s interior from the elements. Vinyl siding is one of the most popular materials for home exteriors, but you might be asking yourself how long vinyl siding will last.
At Elite Remodeling Services, more than 18 years of experience providing residential and commercial roofing and siding services has made us the go-to source for quality siding repair and replacement in Farmington, MN, and the Twin Cities South Metro area.
Contact us today if you want more information about the benefits of installing vinyl siding. Schedule a consultation with one of our experienced technicians at Elite Remodeling Services by calling (952) 646-2480.
How Long Does Vinyl Siding Last in Comparison to Other Siding Materials?
Many Midwestern residents have found that vinyl siding is one of the best materials to install on a home’s exterior. It holds up well to temperature changes and insects, and it’s not expensive to install.
Another reason for its popularity is its lifespan. Vinyl is an incredibly durable synthetic material. This siding can last between 20 to 40 years. In some cases, the siding has endured for six decades before needing replacement.
Vinyl siding isn’t the only material with a long lifespan. What sets it apart from other materials is that it can last for decades with minimal maintenance.
Wood is a beautiful, versatile material that adds elegance and charm to home exteriors. Unfortunately, though, since wood is a natural material, it is expensive, requires a lot of maintenance, and is susceptible to rot and insect infestations. With the proper upkeep, wood siding can hold up for about 20 years.
Aluminum is a lightweight metal that has excellent moisture resistance. It will not warp, rot, or develop mold or pest infestations, making it an excellent alternative to wood siding.
However, aluminum siding does not have the same longevity as vinyl. The metal could perform well for up to 40 years, but it is vulnerable to physical damage and fading from UV exposure. The siding will likely need repair or replacement before the end of its lifespan to keep the house looking its best.
Fiber Cement Siding
Like vinyl, fiber cement siding has a reputation for durability and affordability. It mimics other siding options well, but it has strength similar to concrete. This material also resists insects, fungal growths, extreme weather, and sunlight exposure.
Fiber cement siding usually lasts around 50 years. However, it requires periodic painting and upkeep to maintain its appearance.
Factors Affecting the Longevity of Vinyl Siding
Though few siding materials can hold up as long as vinyl, several factors contribute to protective abilities without negatively affecting its appearance:
- Maintenance: One of the benefits of vinyl siding is its low maintenance. Pressure washing the home’s exterior and checking for signs of damage will help prolong the siding’s lifespan.
- Installation: Sometimes, siding can fail due to an inexperienced contractor’s installation technique. For long-lasting results and to prevent future problems like moisture damage, it’s best to work with skilled siding contractors who know how to repair exterior home damage before beginning the siding installation.
- Quality: High-quality vinyl siding tends to be thicker and carry a more extended warranty than subpar options. If damages occur, you can get repairs quickly.
How to Maintain Vinyl Siding
You can paint vinyl siding, but painting is usually unnecessary unless it starts fading after decades of sun exposure. However, you can keep the siding in good condition by cleaning and inspecting it.
- Cleaning: You should wash the siding at least once a year using a pressure washer and a vinegar-water cleaning solution.
- Inspecting: Though vinyl siding does well in various temperatures, extreme weather conditions such as heavy winds, hail, and other storm conditions can cause damage like punctures and tears.
Occasionally inspect your siding for signs of wear so that you can replace the planks before the problem worsens.
Now you know the answer to, “How long does vinyl siding last?” However, this siding material won’t last forever. If you notice signs of poor installation, insect damage, or mold and mildew, it’s time to contact home improvement professionals for assistance.
Elite Remodeling Services is the top-rated roofing and siding company based in Farmington, MN, serving the Twin Cities South Metro area. Call us today at (952) 646-2480 to learn more about our superior siding services.