Water damage is every homeowner’s worst fear. Seemingly minor issues within your roofing system can build up over time causing severe complications under the surface. Once your roof’s critical components become compromised, water can leak into your home, causing expensive problems.
Understanding why roof leaks occur and how to watch out for signs of water damage can help you prevent these issues and repair them quickly. At Elite Remodeling Services, we offer professional roof leak repairs in Minneapolis, MN, and the surrounding cities, including St. Paul, Farmington, Apple Valley, Eagan, Burnsville, and Lakeville. If you have flood damage or notice a leak, call Elite Remodeling Services at (952) 646-2480 for fast and quality restorative repairs from our expert team.
What Causes Your Roof To Leak?
Understanding why roofing systems leak may help you prevent the problem in the first place. While you cannot avoid severe storms and flood waters causing damage to your home, you can perform regular maintenance on your roof to prevent common issues. The main damages that can cause water leaks include the following:
- Cracked and broken flashing (the strips that divert water off the roof)
- Damaged shingles
- Poorly sealed valleys
- Cracked vent booting
- Ice dams (trapped water that freezes and expands inside the roof)
- Clogged gutters
- Chimney cracks
- Shingle curling, buckling, blistering, etc.
You can avoid many of the above issues with regular maintenance. For example, clearing your gutters monthly and hiring a roofing company every six months to perform standard clearing and inspection services can ensure that all components stay in good shape.
Water Damage Signs
A leak can cause severe structural damage that’s immediately obvious, or it may show subtle signs that you can locate early on. By looking for signs of water damage in the upper rooms and attic of your home, you can determine whether or not your roof has leaks that need repairs before the issue develops further. The primary signs of water damage from a leaking roof include the following:
- Cracks in upper room ceilings and walls
- Sagging lines when looking at your roofing system from outside
- Crooked or bowing ceilings
- Mold growth
- Shorted wires creating a fire threat
- Stains on upper ceilings and walls
- Falling water
- Excess leak signs when it’s windy or raining because of the increased pressure
What To Do If You Find a Leak
If you locate any of the above signs of water damage, you’ll need to contact a professional to repair the damages. Attempting to locate the source of the leak to patch yourself is too complex because roofing systems contain numerous components that can send water trickling in dozens of directions. Instead, follow these steps:
- Remove all valuables: If you already have water leaking from the ceiling, you’ll need to move any furniture, carpets, and valuables out of the way to prevent further damage.
- Put buckets under the leak: Place buckets under the leaking water to avoid damaging your floors and other items. All leaks require fairly immediate attention, though if you have holes in your ceiling exposing your home to the elements or gallons of water rapidly falling, you’ll need emergency repairs to prevent severe home damage.
- Call a professional: Call a professional leak repair service to locate the source, patch the area, drain the water, and restore your home. We recommend selecting a company that can handle your insurance claims as well to make the process easier. At Elite Remodeling Services, we include insurance company restoration with our repairs.
Call the Leak Repair Experts Today
So, can a roof leak cause water damage? Yes. If water damage happens to your home, call Elite Remodeling Services in Minneapolis, MN, at (952) 646-2480, and our professionals will restore your home as quickly as possible.